Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bits and Pieces.....

Today was all about work. Trying to get the1970 VW bus ready to sell. I'm dragging myself around doing all these things to prepare, but what I really should be doing is sleeping...I've got some nasty plague. I can't seem to relax, though, so I just keep moving. Getting things done feels good, so I keep on keeping on.
The boat purchase is progressing as well. Vince has contacted the boatyard where the boat is docked to tell them of our intent. He has also looked into all the ins-and-outs of getting the boat from Canada to the U.S. It's as complicated as you'd like to imagine. It will also cost us more money. Not a lot, but a couple of thousand dollars. Also, discovered that it's imperative to have the engines (which are currently in heated storage) installed in the boat before coming across the border. Apparently the EPA wouldn't allow them to come over to the the U.S. It doesn't make any difference if they are antique (which they are, 1926) or not. Good things to know. Due diligence. This boat won't cost us a lot of money, but any investment we make needs to be looked after well. Can't afford to make mistakes.
I'd really like to get the house sold in fairly short order. I realize that the boat is do-able without selling the place, but to me it seems like too much to juggle. I also think that emotionally we are one foot out the door already. It's like we made the decision and though it was seemingly sudden, it really wasn't. This was a long time coming. I'm ready.
I'm in the process of making the sacrifices necessary to make the move to Fifer possible. Selling my horse this weekend was a HUGE step for me. Lacey isn't just a horse, she's a dear, dear friend to me. When I bought her 8 years ago I had no idea how she would impact my life, how much I would grow to love her. I have no idea what happened to her in her previous life. I know that she was extremely well-trained--she can be ridden either English of Western, and she was quick and responsive to every touch. Unfortunately, I think she was also abused. When I got her, you couldn't touch her head. Not at all. She'd freak out, spook, rear back. It was terrible. Someone beat her severely. You could load her in a trailer--at your own risk. She freaked out at that, too. She'd get this crazy look in her eyes. If you know horses, you'll know what I'm talking about--complete disconnect. Just gone, There was no reasoning with her. After 8 years, she has grown to trust, and love. The little girl who will ride her now will know the joys of this love because she and I had the time to learn to trust each other. She has none of the fearfulness that she did when I got her. I'm sad that she isn't my horse anymore, but I'm happy that she will have a better home because of the time we spent together. It made me sad today when I looked down into her beautiful, rolling pasture. You can still see her favorite places to spend time..little worn out spots amidst the lush green. I'll miss that girl. She will always have a special place in my heart. She did as much for me as I did for her....she was a friend, not a pet. I'll miss our talks. I know it sounds crazy, but she listened. It felt like she understood. And accepted. Not too many friends like that in the world.
Selling Lacey is how to gauge my emotional commitment to this life-change. I'm completely in it. Having a horse was a dream from the time I was tiny. It took me until I was in the 30's to fulfill that dream. Now dreams are changing .Evolving, I guess. Now I dream of traveling to exotic ports of call with the people I love most. I dream of lounging on Fifer on beautiful summer days. I dream of sailing Gullmar around the Puget Sound, sailing her in the way she should be sailed--hard and fast. Life is good. Bring it on.......

No comments:

Post a Comment