Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stuff...

I'd love to sit down right now and talk about boats...but the truth is, I've been BURIED in stuff all day. Boxes and boxes of STUFF. I know I've talked about this before, but it just flat-out amazes me how much stuff we've managed to collect over the years.....well, actually, a lot of this particular stuff was Vince's. Boxes of childhood stuff--toys, papers and random other-ness. He has every Lifeguard "CPR" card he ever received when he was a kid--a total of 8. Also, tons of various Star Wars stuff...comic books, toys, books, models, cards. That stuff we're going to take to Aberdeen to a wonderful "all Star Wars" shop. See if the old guy wants any of it...we'll trade him some something (ONE thing) that is cool and hopefully, small. Vince also has drawings and other art that chronicles his advancement artisically from the time he could hold a pencil. I have none of this. Mine is all gone--either by accident or on purpose. I have NO schoolwork, or artwork from my childhood. I have one letter I wrote to my Grandma when I was about five. That's it. I travel light, I guess. I think if we had two of us collecting it would have pushed me over the edge. When Vince came home from work today he was all amped up about getting Ben's scholarship process moving--raving about how we had to get "on it right away!" This was met with no shortage of frustration on my part, having been digging through copious amounts of this crap all day. Poor guy. He most likely wasn't prepared for the stark-raving lunatic of a wife who had been weighing the options of retaining worthless stuff all day. I had had it. I did weigh the option of getting rid of the Tom Selleck collector plate from the 80's that my sister gave me for Christmas. I'm keeping it. Maybe I'm not out of the woods with all this stuff.....it's what we value that is amazing. Why do I want THAT?

We also have a metric buttload of Coca Cola stuff. I have bottles and bottles and bottles. Some full, some empty. Collectible 6-packs with Coke still in them. From Christmas of certain years, Olympics of others, NASCAR--why I have these, I couldn't tell you--V and I hate all things NASCAR....I guess when it's printed on a Coke bottle it's acceptable somehow. I don't know. I do know that it all has to go.

Tomorrow I plan on doing things outside, even weather not permitting. I can't look at this stuff anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment