Saturday, January 23, 2010

Crawl Out of the Box.....

Seems like my world has been revolving around boxes lately. Pull the boxes out of the closet, look at what is in the boxes, cancel or allow? Maybe boxes have been my entire life, come to think of it. I've never wanted to live in one, but I have, and I do. Getting ready to leave this particular box...not trading up for a new box, gonna leave the box completely.

In the last few years I have crawled out of the mental box I had made for myself. Sometimes change is difficult. I feel that everything we learn about the way we live is trained into us from a very early age. You are supposed to go to college, have a career, get married, buy a house, have kids, Buy shit to put in your house, buy cars that you are supposed to drive, go on vacation once and awhile, and most importantly: don't look outside your box. Stay in your box. Lather, rinse, repeat. This should go on until the end.

The end...which leads me to the obvious conclusion--why? Why should you do the "normal" thing, the thing that you are told to do? Will the fabric of the Universe unravel if you do something completely different? I have walked the road less-traveled and I can tell you that NOTHING happens when you do something abnormal. The sky doesn't fall, your relationship doesn't end, your children don't hate you. It's about questioning why you are doing what you are doing. If, at the end of this internal dialog you are happy, truly happy where you are at--good for you! If you aren't...well, look at the changes you can potentially make. Why not?

The only people I care about are sitting in this box with me right now (and one little person in a box in Olympia). They are excited about the new journey we will all be taking together. I don't give a crap what any of my friends think--pretty much any of my family at large. I just don't give a rat's ass. Doesn't matter to me. They will either support us in our decision to do what we feel passionate about, or they won't. We are so lucky to have so many awesome people in our life. It's about throwing the lines off, taking chances....you only have one life. Live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment